Saturday, May 25, 2013

I've done all I can to prepare to leave on the long journey home.


Day 2

Today was a hell of a day.  I got a lot done.  It’s pretty hard work in the humid swamp-like conditions here in Camden.

I am still acclimating to the time change.  I think I have it backwards, however.  I should be up later being used to west coast time.  However, I find myself napping in the late afternoon and then staying up until midnight or so.  What I have to do is figure out a way to skip the nap.  Tough words under the circumstances.

I managed to wake up in the middle of the night.  No problem.  I was actually able to tick a few items off the five page list of things to do.  I went back to sleep for a while, however, because I was tired.  That’s one of the nice things about cruising.  You wake up when you wake up and you go to sleep when you feel like sleeping.  I stayed in bed until almost 0800 this morning.  Funny.  I felt like I overslept.  I have things to do and, as they say, you can sleep when you’re dead.  So I hopped out of my bunk and got right to it…..again.

I spent five hours today scrubbing a year’s worth of crud off the boat.  There was actually a plant growing in the port side scupper.  I eliminated at least 6 wasp mud nests, tossed overboard a bunch of spiders, and generally rid the vessel of grime.  Everything I touched with a brush I did twice.  five hours later and gallons of sweat eliminated, the old girl is finally presentable again.  After I finished washing the boat, I re-installed all those little things that made sense for a long time such as the grill and its propane tank, pumped up the dinghy, unfurled the American flag, put a burgee up on the bow, put the carpet back on the back deck, etc, etc, etc.  I even went to the store and picked up some additional and much needed provisions.  Then, I took a nap.

After napping for a couple hours, it was time to move on down the list – fuel system.  I always hate changing the fuel filters.  Generally, it’s a messy job.  I have lots of knicks on my fingers and the diesel fuel doesn’t help.  Moreover, I tend to go through rolls and rolls of paper towels.  The process went well and the fuel system was serviced.  On to the cooling system.

Here, I had a slight problem.  I managed to crack the cap on the expansion tank.  It’s like a radiator cap.  Well. It was kinda stuck and I kinda had to use some of that brute strength I have a reputation for.  I’m not sure there was any avoiding it, but there it is.  My goal is to go out tomorrow early and find a replacement.  If that doesn’t work, I know who to contact and I’ll have it sent to me overnight. 

Tomorrow, the oil and filters will be changed on both the main engine and the generator.  I figured out how I am going to get rid of the old oil, so that is taken care of.  Again, as I have said before, I am peeling off layers of anxiety one at a time.  So far, so good. Well,  except for that damn cap.  There is a courtesy car here I can use, so it’s not that big a deal.

Little by little this old girl is starting to look pretty good again.  There is no doubt she could use a total paint job, and doubtless I shall likely be contracting with my friend Tim to completely refurbish the bright-work.  Right now, however, she looks presentable.  Most important, however, all the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems seems to be working.

Day 3

It was a rather frustrating day.  I feel like I did not get that much done.  Priority one was to try to find a replacement cap for the expansion tank.  I hit the road early this morning and drove over to a Napa store in Elizabeth City.  Of course they did not have the part I needed.  So, I went on doing some additional provisioning.

When I got back to the boat, I started looking on line for a Perkins parts supplier.  I knew who to call on the west coast, but I needed someone on the east coast who would be open at east coast time.  I found a great one located in Tennessee.  I spoke with a dude named Pat.  He was very helpful.  Of course he had the part I needed and was prepared to send it to me overnight.  Unfortunately, he called me back and advised that neither UPS nor FedEX deliver to this area on Saturdays.  This meant I would have to wait until Tuesday before I could leave.  While I am certainly enjoying myself here, I am ready to start knocking some miles off this delivery. 

This guy I talked to on the phone was great.  He called me back again and told me that he had a distributor in Virginia who, although she did not have the part, was able to provide a cross-reference number for a Napa part.  Funny how the guy at Napa said they didn’t have one.  So, I called Napa again, only this time I was equipped with a part number.  The nice gal I spoke to on the phone would be able to have it by 0900 Saturday.  Hope at last. 

Later in the afternoon, the owner of the marina brought the fuel truck over and I took on around 113 gallons.  I was surprised at how little I took.  Based on my calculations, I expected to take more.  I’m not complaining since, thus far, I over budgeted for fuel.  Full of fuel, I reset the trip odometer and notated the log. 

For the rest of the day I did other projects trying to keep my mind off the possibility I would be stuck here until Tuesday.  I got all the remaining filters changed and serviced the transmission.  The running lights and anchor light seem to work fine as did the inverter and this parallel electrical system.  Dinner was a drag and I got to bed early.

Day 4

I woke up this morning full of hope.  I said to myself, “Today is going to be a good day.  Something good is going to happen.”  Well, I was right.  I was at Napa’s door at 0900 and, lo and behold, my part had arrived.  I brought the old one with me for sake of comparison.  It sure looked similar and the spring felt right.  But, would it actually fit?

After making a couple more provisioning stops, I ran back to the boat, went into the engine room, and tried the cap on for size.  Perfect fit.  So, I was able to fill the coolant basin and close the system with no leaks.  Now, I could start the boat to get the engine prepared for an oil change.

It’s always nerve wracking starting an older engine, but this time I was pleasantly surprised.  I turned the key and pushed the button and the engine roared to life.  She sounded very good and there was great water flow.  I ran it long enough to bring her up to operating temperature and then shut her down.  The oil change went seamlessly – nary a drop spilled, and, because the temperature dropped so significantly overnight, I hardly broke a sweat even in a heated engine room.

After cleaning up and putting all the tools and other stuff away, I determined that I had completed all the tasks to prepare the boat.  There is nothing overlooked; nothing within my control or ability, that is.  I am ready to leave Camden tomorrow morning.  I expect to make Portsmouth late in the day.  I’m not certain where I am going to stay.  I have charted three possibilities so I have all my bases covered.  Tuesday morning, I will move the boat to Ocean Marine Yachting Center to haul out for bottom paint.

In the interim, I have had a nice time in Camden.  Larry Lamb is a very nice man and is very generous and helpful.  I also had the pleasure of spending some time with a friend Brenda and I met nearly 2 years ago under a bridge in Hampton, VA.  My favorite Brit, Arnold, aka “Captain Parky” has been bouncing around North Carolina and Virginia for a few years now.  He spends quite a bit of time at Lamb’s Marina.  I cannot possibly describe the conversations we have, but they are spirited and very enjoyable.  I’m leaving Lambs tomorrow morning and I can’t help but wonder if I will ever see my friend Arnold again.   Wherever your vessel takes you, Arnold, we’ll always remember and appreciate you.  Here’s wishing you fair winds and following seas.

Tomorrow, up the Dismal Swamp Canal……again, and then Portsmouth.  The part I ordered from the Perkins supplier will catch up with me, thanks to Arnold who will catch the delivery and forward it.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment